7 Types of Asset Management
John Spacey, updated on March 22, 2021
Asset management is the planning, directing and maintenance of investments, fixed assets such as buildings and intangible assets such as goodwill. It is a broad category of management that includes several distinct disciplines and industries:
1. Financial Asset ManagementFinancial asset management, often referred to simply as Asset Management, is the sector of the financial services industry that manages investment funds and client investment accounts.
2. Enterprise Asset ManagementManagement of the fixed assets of an organization including acquisition, operation, maintenance and decommissioning. The definition is occasionally expanded to include intangible assets.
3. Infrastructure Asset ManagementManagement of public infrastructure such as roads, bridges, waterways and electric grids with a focus on maintenance, rehabilitation, and replacement of infrastructure.
4. Public Asset ManagementSimilar to Infrastructure Asset Management except that it has a greater scope that includes facilities such as schools, parks, public spaces and airports. Public Asset Management is often focused on extending the service life of public assets.
5. IT Asset ManagementThe governance and control of IT hardware and software. IT Asset Management encapsulates the maintenance, contract management and accounting functions for IT assets.
6. Fixed Assets ManagementThe practice of tracking fixed assets for the purposes of financial accounting, maintenance and loss prevention.
7. Digital Asset ManagementManagement of the information collections that an organization owns, controls or has the right to use.
Asset ManagementThis is the complete list of articles we have written about asset management.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
A guide to asset management. Assets are divided into various categories for the purposes of accounting, taxation and to measure the value or financial health of an entity. A definition of asset with a few examples. A definition of field service with examples.
The common types of management control.
The definition of asset tracking with examples.A list of common business assets. An overview of IT asset management.
A list of common IT assets.
An overview of digital asset management with examples.
Long-lived assets that cannot be easily converted into cash.
An overview of infrastructure asset management with examples.A guide to management techniques. A list of techniques for developing and implementing a strategy.
The basics of productivity. A guide to project management.
The common types of internal benchmarking.
A definition of internal customer with examples.
A definition of business optimization with examples.The common types of team objective.
A definition of internal stakeholder with examples.An overview of the different types of management planning.
A definition of management with examples.
TrendingThe most popular articles on Simplicable in the past day. Recent posts or updates on Simplicable. Site Map