top » risk » business risks » political risk
6 Types of Political Risk
John Spacey, August 25, 2015 updated on March 23, 2021
Political risk is the probability that political decisions, events or conditions will result in losses. Politics affect everything from taxes to interest rates and political events can dramatically impact the price of assets or cost of doing business. The following are a few types of political risk.
1. Trade BarriersTrade barriers such as tariffs can decrease margins or make it impossible to compete in a foreign market. In many cases, trade barriers are the result of local politics or trade wars between nations.
2. TaxesChanges in taxes can reduce the profitability of a business and affect the price of assets such as stocks. Complex tax rules can also be a burden on small businesses who may need to invest limited resources in understanding and complying with new rules.
3. LegislationNew legislation can result in compliance costs as businesses may need to make changes to operations, products or business processes.
4. AdministrationPolitical turmoil can result in administrative delays. For example, a government may start to delay business critical approvals such as building permits.
5. Political InstabilityPolitical instability such as terrorism, riots, coups, civil war, and insurrection can completely disrupt business operations in a country for long periods of time.
6. EconomicsIn many cases, politics can influence economic management such as the interest rate decisions that impact asset prices and business costs.
RiskThis is the complete list of articles we have written about risk.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
Business RisksA list of common business risks.
Risk TreatmentThe four things that can be done about risk.
Risk Management Effectiveness
A metric for measuring risk management.
Positive RiskThe potential that you'll achieve too much of a good thing.
Any risk that people have a strong aversion too.
Risk TakingThe definition of risk taking with examples.
Risk ExamplesA list of risk examples by type.
Risk Probability vs Risk ImpactThe two main factors in modeling a risk.
Calculated RiskA definition of calculated risk with an example.
How to calculate relative risk with examples.
Economic TheoriesA list of economic theories that are particularly useful for business.
The tendency for people at high risk to buy insurance.
A list of economic positions or capabilities that allow you to outperform in a particular industry.
Knowledge WorkA definition of knowledge work with examples.
ProductionA definition of production with examples.
An overview of post-scarcity.
Economic InfrastructureThe common types of economic infrastructure.
The common types of business competition.
InefficiencyThe common types of inefficiency.
An overview of supply with common examples.
TrendingThe most popular articles on Simplicable in the past day.
New ArticlesRecent posts or updates on Simplicable. Site Map
© 2010-2023 Simplicable. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of materials found on this site, in any form, without explicit permission is prohibited.
View credits & copyrights or citation information for this page.