top » risk » business risks » process risk
6 Types of Process Risk
John Spacey, August 27, 2015 updated on March 24, 2021
Process risk is the potential for losses related to a business process. It is usually considered a type of operational risk as most processes are part of the day-to-day operations of a business. The following are a few common types of process risks.
1. Infrastructure RiskInfrastructure outages such as failure of basic communications linkages can trigger process failures.
2. Information Technology RiskThe risk of technology errors or security incidents that disrupt or invalid processes.
3. Human ErrorErrors or oversights can result in low quality or failed processes. For example, if a stock trader incorrectly enters an order the order may execute at the wrong price or quantity, potentially representing a significant loss. It is often possible to reduce human error by designing processes that are human-friendly and error tolerant.
4. Workplace SafetyPotential threats to human health and safety such as a physical accident or injury due to repetitive strains.
5. Mechanical FailureBreakdown of equipment can disrupt processes such as manufacturing or supply chain operations.
6. Process QualityIn many cases, it is the quality of a process itself that leads to failures. A low quality process may not properly anticipate real world conditions and may break down with changes in the business environment. For example, a customer service process may work under normal conditions but may fail when call volumes spike.
RisksThis is the complete list of articles we have written about risks.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
Business RisksA list of common business risks.
Risk TreatmentThe four things that can be done about risk.
Risk MitigationA list of techniques for reducing risk.
Positive RiskThe potential that you'll achieve too much of a good thing.
Any risk that people have a strong aversion too.
Risk vs Opportunity
The surprising similarities between risk and opportunity.
Risk Management vs Contingency Planning
The difference between risk management and contingency planning.
UncertaintyThe common types of uncertainty in decision making and strategy.
The common types of inventory risk.
Business Risk Management
An overview of common business risk management techniques.
TopSimplicable is a modern encyclopedia that has been updated daily since 2010.
Business TheoryA list of interesting business theories.
Knowledge WorkA definition of knowledge work with examples.
Office PoliticsA list of social processes, absurdities and strategies related to office politics.
Product DevelopmentA guide to product development.
Types Of KnowledgeThe differences between types of knowledge.
Trough Of Sorrow
An overview of the trough of sorrow.
Business ModelsA list of common business models.
MarketingA list of things that marketers do.
Competitive AdvantageA list of common competitive advantages.
TrendingThe most popular articles on Simplicable in the past day.
New ArticlesRecent posts or updates on Simplicable. Site Map
© 2010-2023 Simplicable. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of materials found on this site, in any form, without explicit permission is prohibited.
View credits & copyrights or citation information for this page.