top » risk » business risks » tactical risk
7 Tactical Risk Examples
John Spacey, July 28, 2015 updated on March 22, 2021
Tactical risk is the chance of loss due to changes in business conditions on a real time basis. Tactics differ from strategy in that they handle real time conditions. In other words, a strategy is a plan for the future while a tactic is a plan to handle real world conditions as they unfold. As such, tactical risk is associated with present threats rather than long term conditions. The following are a few examples of tactical business risks.
1. Credit RiskA bank extends an unsecured line of credit to a large electronics firm based on the company's healthy financial condition. A few months later, the electronics company suddenly issues a press release saying that they have discovered unidentified accounting irregularities that will have a material impact to its financial condition. Based on the press release, the bank identifies the credit line as a high risk account and freezes it before more withdrawals can take place.
2. Market RiskA farmer reconsiders plans to plant her fields with corn when prices drop on the futures market.
3. Information Technology RiskA bank uses a series of network routers that are identified as having a major security vulnerability. They quickly develop a plan to address the vulnerability by rerouting traffic and patching the routers.
4. Competitive RiskA solar panel manufacturer receives news that their biggest competitor is ready to commercialize a new type of solar cell that has a high conversion efficiency and is inexpensive to manufacture.
5. Marketing RiskAn airline releases a new ad campaign with a catchy slogan. A popular internet meme suddenly appears that makes fun of the slogan and suggests that the company has poor customer service. The company quickly ends the campaign in response.
6. Health & Safety RiskA company is contacted by three employees from the same office location who say that they have been diagnosed with a communicable disease. The company quickly contacts all staff who work at the location to inform them of the situation and to ask that they work from home for the rest of the week.
7. Legal RiskA concert promoter in Japan receives news that a typhoon is heading towards their outdoor summer event. The promoter decides to cancel the concert despite the high costs of refunding tickets in order to avoid legal risks associated with injuries from the typhoon.
Tactics vs StrategyTactics and strategy are both military terms. Military organizations primary view tactical risk as the conditions on a battlefield. An army may identify strategic risks before a battle but tactical risks can only be identified as they unfold.
RiskThis is the complete list of articles we have written about risk.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
Business RisksA list of common business risks.
Risk TreatmentThe four things that can be done about risk.
Risk Management Effectiveness
A metric for measuring risk management.
Positive RiskThe potential that you'll achieve too much of a good thing.
Any risk that people have a strong aversion too.
Risk TakingThe definition of risk taking with examples.
Risk ExamplesA list of risk examples by type.
Risk Probability vs Risk ImpactThe two main factors in modeling a risk.
Calculated RiskA definition of calculated risk with an example.
How to calculate relative risk with examples.
TopSimplicable is a modern encyclopedia that has been updated daily since 2010.
Business TheoryA list of interesting business theories.
Knowledge WorkA definition of knowledge work with examples.
Office PoliticsA list of social processes, absurdities and strategies related to office politics.
Product DevelopmentA guide to product development.
Types Of KnowledgeThe differences between types of knowledge.
Trough Of Sorrow
An overview of the trough of sorrow.
Business ModelsA list of common business models.
MarketingA list of things that marketers do.
Competitive AdvantageA list of common competitive advantages.
TrendingThe most popular articles on Simplicable in the past day.
New ArticlesRecent posts or updates on Simplicable. Site Map
© 2010-2023 Simplicable. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of materials found on this site, in any form, without explicit permission is prohibited.
View credits & copyrights or citation information for this page.