7 Decision Support Technologies
John Spacey, updated on April 30, 2017
Decision support is a category of information technology that includes any tools that help businesses make decisions. In most cases, this means providing decision makers with meaningful information that's relevant to a given decision. It also includes tools for automating or partially automatic decisions. The following are common types of decision support technologies.
1. Decision AlgorithmsAn algorithm is a procedure with a rigorous design. They can be used to make decisions or aid human decision making.
2. Search ApplicationsA tool that searches a large repository of information such as the internet or a corporate knowledge management system.
3. Data Analysis ToolsTools that support statistical analysis of data sets.
4. Reporting ToolsTechnologies that allow you to design and generate ad hoc or regular reports.
5. AnalyticsAnalytics is the automated discover of meaning in data. In many cases, analytics software is specific to a particular domain such as the analysis of web traffic data. The benefit of analytics is that users don't have to understand the underlying data and statistical models to obtain useful reports.
6. Information VisualizationA generic term for technologies that automatically visualize data or support human driven design of information visuals.
7. Data MiningAnalysis of large sets of historical data typically using statistical models.
IT SkillsThis is the complete list of articles we have written about it skills.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
AnalyticsA definition of analytics with examples.
Decision MakingA list of decision making techniques.
Abilene ParadoxThe observation that groups may make collective decisions that are viewed as wrong or irrational by each individual member of the group.
Decision Making ProcessA complete guide to the decision making process.
Rational ThoughtRational thought is often somewhat logical but includes factors such as emotion, imagination, culture, language and social conventions.
UncertaintyThe common types of uncertainty in decision making and strategy.
Information CostsA definition of information costs with examples.
A definition of reverse brainstorming with examples.
The definition of decision fatigue with examples.
Taking a position that you do not necessarily agree with for the purposes of argument.
Paradox Of Choice
The definition of paradox of choice with examples.
Types of TechnologyA reasonably comprehensive list of information technologies.
GamificationA list of gamification techniques.
Information Technology ProblemsA list of common IT problems.
Types Of Cloud
The basic types of cloud computing.
The common types of machine data.
Types Of SoftwareThe common types of software.
A definition of proprietary technology with examples.
The common elements of a systems design.
Systems vs Applications
The difference between systems and applications explained.
TrendingThe most popular articles on Simplicable in the past day.
New ArticlesRecent posts or updates on Simplicable. Site Map
© 2010-2023 Simplicable. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of materials found on this site, in any form, without explicit permission is prohibited.
View credits & copyrights or citation information for this page.