A legacy system is a technology that is out of date to the point of representing an operational risk to a business. Information technology has a tendency to age very quickly as architectural techniques, software designs, programming languages, operating systems and hardware progress. A legacy system is usually older than five years of age. The classification of a technology as legacy includes factors such as:
1. End Of LifeTechnologies used by the system including business software, programming languages, operating system and hardware are no longer supported.
2. KnowledgeThe design of the system is largely a mystery to those who are supporting it.
3. SkillsThe skills required to support and extend the system are difficult to find in the market.
4. ExtensibilityThe system can't be extended or changes are unusually expensive.
5. Mean Time To RepairWhen an incident or problem occurs it takes a long time to repair the system.
6. ScalabilityThe system is unable to scale to handle anticipated business volumes.
7. LimitationsThe system has a limitation such as an inability to handle large numbers or future dates.
8. CostsRecurring costs such as maintenance are high when compared to modern systems.
This is the complete list of articles we have written about it skills.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
A reasonably comprehensive list of information technologies.
A list of gamification techniques.
A list of common IT problems.
The basic types of cloud computing.
The common types of machine data.
The common types of software.
A definition of proprietary technology with examples.
The common elements of a systems design.
The difference between systems and applications explained.
An overview of problem solving with examples.
A list of thinking approaches and types.
A definition of workaround with examples.
A list of common creative thinking techniques.
A list of common types of problems.
The definition of analysis paralysis with examples.
The definition of the arrow of time with examples.
An overview of common business problems.
The definition of decision framing with examples.
The common types of research.
TrendingThe most popular articles on Simplicable in the past day.
Recent posts or updates on Simplicable.
© 2010-2023 Simplicable. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of materials found on this site, in any form, without explicit permission is prohibited.
View credits & copyrights or citation information for this page.