| John Spacey, January 26, 2016 updated on January 17, 2017
Availability is the percentage of time that a service or resource is fully available for its intended use. It is a key operating metric in a number of industries.
- The percentage of time that a service or resource is up.
- The percentage of time that a service or resource is available when it is expected to be available such as during business hours.
- The actual uptime of a resource as a percentage of its expected uptime.
- The uptime of a facility, infrastructure component, machine, device, service, product, function, system, business capability or process.
- It is common for availability to be calculated relative to 24/7/365 uptime. For example, an IT service with availability of 99.99% is down for less than 5 minutes a month.
- Services and resources that are only expected to be up during certain business hours are calculated against this business schedule.
- Some industries commonly exclude planned maintenance schedules from availability calculations.
This is the complete list of articles we have written about quality.
If you enjoyed this page, please consider bookmarking Simplicable.
© 2010-2023 Simplicable. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of materials found on this site, in any form, without explicit permission is prohibited.
View credits & copyrights or citation information for this page.